nb creates notes in text-based formats like Markdown, Org, LaTeX, and AsciiDoc, can work with files in any format, can import and export notes to many document formats, and can create private, password-protected encrypted notes and bookmarks. With
nb, you can write notes using Vim, Emacs, VS Code, Sublime Text, and any other text editor you like, as well as terminal and GUI web browsers.
nb works in any standard Linux / Unix environment, including macOS and Windows via WSL. Optional dependencies can be installed to enhance functionality, but
nb works great without them.
nb is a command line and local web note‑taking, bookmarking, archiving, and knowledge base application with:
- plain text data storage,
- filtering, pinning, #tagging, and search,
- Git-backed versioning and syncing,
- Pandoc-backed conversion,
- [[wiki-style linking]],
- terminal and GUI web browsing,
- inline images,
- todos with tasks,
- global and local notebooks,
- organization with folders,
- customizable color themes,
- extensibility through plugins,
and more, in a single portable script.